Saturday, June 7, 2014

Tuna Stuffed Tomatoes

Hello there, Sew Craft Angel readers! It’s Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures, again to bring you another witty post with a recipe attached. Hope you enjoy!


I’m on a tuna kick. I don’t know why. I just got in the mood…ya know the saying. That’s how these Tuna Melt Stuffed Tomatoes came about. Trust me. There will be more tuna recipes to come…just saying.
Anyway.



S and I used to have tuna stuffed tomatoes all the time for a weekend lunches. Oh so good. It’s just tuna, relish and mayo. He would put radish, celery, green onion, a little lemon. YUM! It was THE BEST tuna salad I've ever had. I even didn't mind that it was chunk light and not albacore. You see, I have a fish issue. I don’t like it. Well, let me rephrase that. I don’t like it if it tastes fishy. And, well, anything short of albacore tuna tastes fishy to me. I was a tuna snob. *hangs head in shame*


No. They don’t look pretty, but trust me when I say they tasted pretty darn good!! I was worried, too. S, “I don’t like tuna melts.” Me, “It’s just to melt the cheese. That’s all. I’m not baking them or heating them up in the broiler.” S, “Ooookay.” He didn't seem to have problems eating them. I didn't either. The tuna salad was AH-mazing! All that crunch from the veggies and delicious flavor from the herbs and spices. The ground mustard added a nice little heat that isn't expected in tuna salad. Well, at least in the tuna I've had in the past.


I will admit that I was a bit apprehensive about eating these. You see, me and tuna melts don’t have such a great history, either. I ate one in college and had…um…issues for like a week afterwards? That’s all I’ll say without going into gross details. It was just – let’s leave it at unpleasant. So, you can see why I haven’t had once since. But, honestly, who can resist melted cheese? Seriously? You can? Well, you’re a better person than I am, that’s for sure!! Me and cheese have a one sided love affair which causes me to have arguments with my grey matter and later the junk in my trunk. Just laying it all out there for ya! Ya know…keeping it real! *giggle*


When something starts out looking THIS good, how can you resist? The tomatoes look weird. I've never hollowed out tomatoes that way. I sliced them in half and hollowed them out that way. I figured, I was fine with slicing the top off and going that route, but S usually has more of an appetite than I do and would probably still be hungry after eating one. So, I went the half-sies route and allow for more tuna stuffage and cheese meltage.




And I melted the cheese perfectly, for me at least. I like mine a little golden brown on top. Yes, they kind of look like weird meatballs of some description in this picture, but I really wanted to show how the cheese melted on top. I used a Colby jack sliced cheese from Sargento. I just love their cheese. And they have reduced fat options for some of their cheese. It allows me to keep this girlish figure of mine. *snort*


For those of you new to my style of writing, it is a bit snarkastic. Don’t let that fool ya though, I’m a sweetheart! Honestly!! I am!!


In any event, I suggest you whip up a few of these for your fam! It’s a quick, tasty, and cool summer dinner for those hot nights when you don’t even want to think of stepping into the kitchen. Just throw the broiler on for a couple of minutes and you've got yourself a delicious twist on the traditional Tuna Melt Sandwich.

Tuna Melt Stuff Tomatoes

By A Kitchen Hoors Adventures
Tuna Melt Stuff Tomatoes


Taking the taste of a tuna melt and turning it into a stuffed tomato. These Tuna Melt Stuffed Tomatoes are deliciously quick

Ingredients

  • 2 large tomatoes, hollowed out
  • 9 ounces canned tuna fish in water, drained
  • 3 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped radish
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  • 4 ounces Colby jack cheese sliced

Instructions

  • Cut a thin slice off the top of the tomato and scoop out the flesh, leaving the outer shell. If needed thinly slice the bottom so it will stand on it's own.
  • Combine the next eleven ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
  • Preheat broiler.
  • Stuff the tomatoes with the tuna mixture and top with the cheese.
  • Broil until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm a tuna fan too, but the men of my house arent... I'll just have to make these for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just pinned this-I can't wait to try it!

    Thanks for joining the Say G’Day Saturday linky party. Hope you can join us again this weekend.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete